Thursday, December 25, 2008

Kagharong


A long-time tradition comes with the celebration of Christmas here in Virac that is as old as the Spanish times. It is a re-enactment of how Joseph and Mary came house to house in Bethlehem for a quick rest as she was about to give birth. Dialogs are done in singing, but rather it being on a stage, it's done instead in front of houses where there is a balcony. When I was young my parents made it a point to have us see the play as most folks then value the tradition. I also can remember then that it is required that Mary be on a donkey or a horse, while now the whole troupe is transported on a truck with all the necessary equipments. The re-enactment is aptly called "Kagharong", or Housemasters. I heard that the same tradition is also done in Samar, but I don't have an idea how long they have had it. Ours, on the other hand, as evidenced by the songs used, is really old. Last night, Christmas eve, I was able to watch the tradition again and was amazed by the magic of the songs, as it brings back memories of my childhood and thoughts of that of my parents as well back in the 30's and 40's.

No comments: