Saturday, September 12, 2009

FLOW OF LIFE

Recently, I was in a chatroom for our island province and the topic as I came in was about the environment. One of the chatters was reporting about the current state of one of the most popular rivers in our island home- Santo Domingo river. He informed us that the river is now polluted, with trash being found not only on the banks but also in the waters.
 
Santo Domingo river is a popular dipping hole for most people in Virac, and even nearby towns, as it is only about ten to fifteen minutes away from downtown. Except during severe dry spells when there is less water flowing and moss gathers on some part, the river is mostly clean and its water is cool. This still was the case when we left Virac some three years ago, and surely it was a surprise to know this has changed in so short a time.
 
Every Viracnon have had a dip in this river at least one time or another, that is how popular this river is. Washing clothes is also done there and usually because clothes come up smelling great when washed in its waters. The river has a lot to offer as it has various parts from rapids to deep and calm water, close to the national highway or far into the forested area, and rocks islets to waterfalls (this i couldn't confirm as i have not seen it myself, but there has been accounts of waterfalls along the river). There even is an underwater cave where some of the waters source from.
 
It is heartbreaking to learn about this. I myself have fond memories of bathing there with friends and families countless of times. From the info I got, it seemed it only will be a matter of few years before the river becomes unfit for bathing. My fear is that I only will be able to tell my children stories about this river in the future. Pretty much similar to what my father have done to me when I was younger, with his stories about the former glory of the now extremely polluted Gogon river in downtown Virac.

No comments: